Saturday, March 10, 2012

A man and his Game: Kingdom Hearts- Part II

Is a personnel, emotional connection possible with a game? A product made for entertainment? Well, I don't know what you think, but I think that yes, it is possible. Kingdom Hearts is more than entertainment in my opinion, it's a piece of art that every child should experience in order to understand what friends are and what friends are for.
Kingdom Hearts is very kids friendly, combining Disney and Final Fantasy in the most childish way possible, kids won't be scared of the characters or even the enemies.
"The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"- Sora after final battle KH1
Riku consumed by the darkness

But that's not my point. My point is that this game teaches a very important lesson, friendship is forever, and should be a persons first priority. I played KH in a crucial point in my life, at the age of 9-10, when I started making my friends that'll stick with me and building my personality.
You might be asking yourself what is it with Kingdom Hearts that's so different. Well, what makes it different is that Sora's goal, the reason he goes on this quest with Donald and Goofy, is actually to find his two friends- Riku and Kairi. Along the way Sora risks his own life and the entire journey in order to save the friends he made and the friends he's looking for. At one point, Sora even sacrifices himself on order to save Kairi, something I'd be willing to do if ever needed thanks to Kingdom Hearts.
 And at the end of KH2, when Sora is back with his friends on there island, He receives a letter from Mickey, asking him to embark on one last journey to help everyone he met and mankind (or any kind that's in danger in KH) from the Heartless and evil doers out there, risking his own life because at that point, shit got serious and it wasn't child's play anymore.
Friendship isn't the only thing Kingdom Hearts taught me. Kingdom Hearts taught me to never give up hope, no matter how bad things look. Sora never gave up, even when his bestfriend seemed ti have turn on him and accept the darkness he fought and believed in his friend, he believed Riku isn't doing this willingly and he was right. The quote above speaks for itself.
The last thing Kingdom Hearts taught me was to help others, even if you don't know them. Being a good person might not give you money or power, but it's the right thing to do, and when you do the right thing, someone out there see's that, and appreciates it. And besides, if you help someone when he's down, he'll want to be there to help you when you're down.
Sora stabbing himself with the Keyblade
to give Kairi his heart.
It's been years since I played KH1, and I slowly forget scenes and lines I once knew by heart.
I have no way of playing it, PCSX2 doesn't run it properly on PC and my PS3 isn't backwards compatible. Even if it were, I lost the disc a long time ago and I don't know if I'll be able to find a new copy in Israel, and this just makes me sad! I want now, as a teen and a pretty mature one to see what Kingdom Hearts does to me.
I know I will be smiling the whole way through with my heart beating like a drum! But I wonder if I'll ever get to a state of tears in my eyes, seeing the base of my childhood and personality again as I experienced it years ago. It makes my heart race just thinking about it :)

Thanks for reading, I hope this means something to other people as well.
Good Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment